Director Study Abroad
ID: 7195313 (Ref.No. ej-4805449)
Posted: November 20, 2023
Director Study Abroad
Job ID: 265909
Location: Summerville Campus
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Augusta University is Georgia's innovation center for education and health care, training the next generation of innovators, leaders, and healthcare providers in classrooms and clinics on four campuses in Augusta and locations across the state. More than 9,000 students choose Augusta for educational opportunities at the center of Georgia's cybersecurity hub and experiential learning that blends arts and application, humanities, and the health sciences. Augusta is home to Georgia's only public academic health center, where groundbreaking research is creating a healthier, more prosperous Georgia, and world-class clinicians are bringing the medicine of tomorrow to patient care today.
Our Health Sciences Campus:
1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912
Our Summerville Campus:
2500 Walton Way, Augusta, GA 30904
Our mission is to support the Augusta University community through high impact, cross-cultural engagement in service, research, and learning. For our students in particular, we set out to deliver quality programs to enhance their college experience and equip them to become leaders in a globalized workforce.
The Director of Study Aboard will develop and execute strategies in a collaborative effort with colleges and departments to ensure that study abroad programs are of high academic quality while exploring opportunities to integrate study abroad curriculum into on-campus curriculum. This position will develop and lead policy, process, and systems development to support study abroad operations including, student recruitment advising, application, and enrollment; budgets and accounting; data analytics, grant writing and fundraising, marketing, and outreach. This position will also oversee crisis and risk management for all study abroad programs, serving as a first responder to students, staff, and faculty members experiencing emergency incidents while participating in abroad or away programs and enacting emergency action plans. Commence efforts towards the development of robust virtual international learning programs.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advise and assist faculty with AU sponsored study abroad/ away program development, including cost of program, administration, and approval; advise faculty and administration in the inclusion of international education in the AU curriculum; lead training sessions for new faculty program directors on best practices in study abroad/away programs. Serve as chair of the AU institutional study abroad committee (ISAC)
- Enhance student engagement in AU-sponsored and outside vendor offered study abroad/away opportunities through marketing and recruitment, oversee student advising, and outreach, and manage study abroad/ away scholarships. Supervise the management of individual student travel records. Commence efforts towards the development of a robust virtual international learning programs.
- Manage SAO budget in cooperation with VPI Business Operations Director. Develop and prepare comprehensive reports that will be provided to the Vice Provost
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures pertaining to study abroad/away programs to ensure institutional compliance with all applicable institution, state and federal regulations including but not limited to finances, budgeting, insurance and travel. Oversee crisis and risk management for all study abroad/away programs, serving as first responder to students, staff and faculty members experiencing emergency incidents in abroad or away programs and enacting emergency action plans
- Develop and maintain an annual program evaluation system that assesses study abroad/away programs; submit special reports, as necessary, to Vice Provost and other relevant stakeholders such as USG.
- Participate in USG System Council on International Education (SCIE) and implement best practices as guided by USG Office of International Education (USG OIE).
- Other duties as assigned.
Master's degree from an accredited college or university in higher education, international studies, public administration or a related field appropriate to the position as well as 3 years of experience in an administrative role working with students, faculty, international communities, and/or staff in a university setting. Some demonstrated experience developing virtual learning.
Other Required Qualifications
Requires solid judgment, discernment and professionalism when working with students, faculty, administrative leadership, fellow administrators and SAO staff. Requires diplomacy and respect in handling sensitive issues with students and faculty. Requires competency in knowing when to alert administrative leadership of the need for additional support or to make appropriate referrals to other offices or seek guidance to handle matters internally. Requires confidentiality in relation to student records and engagement.
Hearing and speech for student advisement, management, and working with faculty. Sight for computer work. Analytical for assessments/critical thinking/planning. Voice for customer service international and supervision of staff. Memory/accuracy for continual retrieval of information/dissemination to customers, manager and co-workers in a variety of formats (written, verbal and electronic). Cognitive for research and implementation of best practices in the field.
Preferred Educational Qualifications
Prefer experience of direct work in a Study Abroad Office, with international travel, staff supervision, online education, budget management, Microsoft suite, Banner and Terra Dotta.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases
Shift: Days/M-F (work outside of the normal business hours will likely be required of an employee in an exempt level position)
Pay Grade: 18
Salary: Minimum $48,341.00/Annually - $61,500.00/Annually
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of the selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: 11/17/23 - Until Filled
Augusta University offers a variety of benefits to full-time benefits-eligible employees and some of our half-time (or more) employees.
Benefits that may be elected could include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, Teachers Retirement System (or Optional Retirement Plan), as well as earned vacation time, sick leave, and 13 paid holidays.
Also, our full-time employees who have been employed with us successfully for more than 6 months can be considered for the Tuition Assistance Program. Consider applying with us today!
Conditions of Employment
All selected candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.
All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during their employment and beyond.
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer-friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner every day with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco-free environment, and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.
How To Apply
Consider applying with us today!
Select University Faculty & Staff > External Applicants if you are a candidate from outside the university
Select University Faculty & Staff > Internal Applicants if you are a current university employee
If you need further assistance, please contact us at 706-721-9365
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=12000&JobOpeningId=265909&PostingSeq=1