Assistant Director of Student Financial Services
ID: 7195423 (Ref.No. BSU40411)
Posted: November 21, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide supervision of personnel in a professional manner which includes: interviewing and selection, training, coaching, empowering staff, assigning workload, cross-training, compensation, performance appraisal, disciplinary action, etc.
- Supervise the daily cash operation of Student Financial Services with special attention to improving efficiency, finding redundancies , revamping or updating procedures. Scrutinize process for ongoing improvements.
- Provide information to students, parents, and others regarding regulations relating to student tuition, payment plan, refunds, penalties, delinquencies, etc. by phone, in-person, and email.
- Routinely resolve conflicts with internal and external customers; utilize professional and effective communication skills. Oversee cashiering and billing issues, through regular monitoring of cashiers activity. When issues arise, create and follow up with IT tickets until issues are resolved.
- Perform and manage Total Withdrawal process for SFS on a weekly basis, ensure calculation are accurate, manual entries are completed and Salesforce updated. Ensure follow up with all parties involved in this process.
- Manage Third Party Billing (3PB) with accuracy and timeliness. Ensure application of the 3PB payments to specific accounts and timely follow up to collect payment. Reverse sponsor credit on student account for non-payment by sponsor and issue registration hold at semester end when necessary.
- Manage External Billing from departments campus wide. Ensure departments have reporting tools for account follow up on their receivables.
- Oversee billing of Field Study process including: making adjustments, applying credits, tracking contracts and deposits, providing information to department, parents, and students. Assess for improvements to the process.
- Perform all cashiering reconciliations and oversee routine ongoing processing within the office including: processing of dishonored payments, weekly processing of refunds on student accounts, responding to the Student Financial Services inbox, scanning & retrieval of documents.
- Empower staff to make sound decisions while enforcing policies and processes, exhibit flexibility and excellent customer service, knowing when an exception may be appropriate or when a manual removal of a hold or a late fee is required.
- Perform daily balancing of deposits; audit revolving fund in the safe to verify actual cash on hand and overall security of the area. Oversee the remote deposit of checks and maintain relationship with banking contacts, in addition to ensuring that all bank deposits fall between the university cash handling policy.
- Manage continuous coverage for cashiering area and be prepared to help team as needed so that that all departmental deposits and other checks and currency are accounted for and deposited as per the university policies.
- Perform reconciliations of schedules, fiscal operations reports (FISAP), funds and accounts weekly, monthly and yearly. Collaborate with controller's office on accounting matters related to SFS.
- Manage Perkins, Esther Aldredge or other institutional loans with contracted loan servicer ECSI. Ability to work with loan servicer regarding invoicing, billing and data entry. Diligently, investigate variances and help with funds reconciliation related to loans.
- Maintain excellent relationship with partner offices such as Cardinal Central, Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, Registrar, Advising, Rinker Center, Study Abroad, PEB, etc.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.