Financial Aid Scholarship Specialist
Posted: December 6, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Financial Aid Scholarship Specialist reports to the Director of Student Financial Aid and supports the delivery of student financial assistance as an integral part of the University’s student success and graduation results. The Specialist is responsible for administering institutional scholarships while maintaining compliance with federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations. The Specialist will strategically assist at-risk and/or high-need students with all financial opportunities including Title IV Aid, grants, financial literacy, and institutional funding.
• Manage the Institutional Scholarship Budget and oversee scholarship funding and awarding processes in conjunction with the Athens State Scholarship Committee.
• Work with all stakeholders to develop the strategic plan, and metrics, for scholarship programs.
• Define requirements for scholarship and grant technical needs and work with technical teams to identify software solutions and/or changes to improve processing efficiency and improve the student experience.
• Create reports on the progress of scholarship and grant campaigns, as needed.
• Identify and implement appropriate scholarship training and visibility for students, faculty, and staff.
• Resolve student escalations or complex problems that may arise with processing, requirements, or compliance with internal and external parties.
• Promote and support student involvement with financial literacy education.
• Analyze and evaluate the financial viability of students and families, and provide counsel regarding available financial opportunities, eligibility requirements, and application processes.
• Provide intrusive financial advising to high need students.
• Use SIS to process aid awards and maintain student files including applications, verification documentation, award offers, and outside resources.
• Communicate and collaborate with other educational institutions and governmental agencies.
• Perform general office duties.
• Meet annual goals established by the Director of Student Financial Aid
• Identify opportunities for improvements to work practices and offer viable solutions for
• Complete other tasks as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Three years of work experience in a financial, customer service, or college-related environment preferred.
• Accounting/bookkeeping skills preferred.
• Banner experience preferred.
• Microsoft Windows Applications experience required.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• Above average communication skills.
• Must be pleasant and possess a professional demeanor.
• Must be flexible and have a cooperative work style.
• Sensitivity to cultural diversity.
• Exceptional organizational skills.
• Interest in Student Service.
• Routinely practice self-monitoring by assessing self to make improvements or take corrective action to improve performance.
• Serve as a member of an integrated team dedicated to the effective delivery of student financial aid.
• Maintain up-to-date technological skills and use them efficiently in the performance of job functions.
• Comply with all policies of the University.
• Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing work scope and tasks based on need.
• Actively work towards building cooperative and collaborative relationships with peers and internal faculty and staff.
Maintain “open door” to internal and external customers.
Salary Band: P245
To view salary schedules visit: https://www.athens.edu/human-resources/salary-schedule-tables/
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Posting Detail Information
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.
Background Check Statement
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Please provide contact information for three professional references on your application. Include correct email addresses if available.