Postdoctoral Appointee – Developing synchrotron x-ray applications in understanding biological and environmental systems
ID: 7200171 (Ref.No. 416908)
Posted: December 9, 2023
We invite applications for a postdoctoral position in the eBERlight Group within the X-ray Science Division at Argonne National Laboratory. The selected candidate will conduct advanced research in the field of biological and environmental sciences, playing a pivotal role in advancing our research projects. The focus will be on applying multiple synchrotron X-ray techniques to address the 2-dimensional (2D) and 3-dimensional (3D) chemical and physical properties of biological and environmental systems. The postdoctoral appointee is expected to contribute to the design, analysis, and interpretation of experiments, as well as present findings to the community through publications and presentations.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, biology, environmental science or an equivalent field obtained within the last 3 years
- Knowledge in the fields of biological and environmental science, providing valuable insights and perspectives to the eBERlight program
- Experience and knowledge in acquiring X-ray Imaging (computed tomography), microscopy (x-ray fluorescence, ptychography), scattering (SAXS, WAXS etc.), structural biology (crystallography) or absorption spectroscopy (XAS) data using synchrotron sources and data analysis.
- Skills in designing and developing customized in situ/operando sample environments tailored specifically for studying biological and environmental systems.
- Ability to work interactively and productively in a multidisciplinary environment while also being able to work independently on a day-to-day basis.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.