Tutor IV, TSI Prep. Workshop
San Gabriel Campus, TX
ID: 7200264 (Ref.No. R-5451)
Posted: December 8, 2023
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:Tutor IV, TSI Prep. Workshop
Job Description Summary:To provide temporary assistance as needed
- Tutors students according to set priorities and academic goals.
- Provides assistance to students on a one-on-one or group basis in the subject discipline, college study skills, and Learning Lab resources.
- Organizes supplemental learning materials.
- Provides feedback on student progress.
- May assist with research, development, delivery, and evaluation of specialized tutoring services and/or resources for tutorial activities.
- May lead study groups in the subject matter.
- Tutoring techniques, standards, and supplemental learning materials for individual and group tutoring.
- Learning Lab services.
- Processes and resources for organizing and leading study groups.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact, patience, and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Understanding and following instructions precisely.
- Providing quality tutorial services to groups and individuals and providing feedback regarding student performance and/or progress.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds, including students, fellow tutors, and faculty.
- Maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that promotes good relations with students, co-workers, and staff.
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
- For all Tutor levels: one semester related work experience.
- Tutor IV: Significant related work experience and expertise in discipline.
- Degree or substantial undergraduate coursework in the discipline, and demonstrated competence in the subjects that will be tutored.
- Tutor IV: Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in discipline or related field.
- Work is performed in a learning lab environment on campus in an academic setting.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
$25 / hour
Number of Openings:2
Job Posting Close Date:December 31, 2023
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.