Orchid Collection Curator
ID: 7216998 (Ref.No. BSU41492)
Posted: February 13, 2024
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain living orchid collection, the Wheeler-Thanhauser Orchid Collection and Species Bank (WOCSB). Maintain orchid database. Provide orchid collection diversity through purchases, trading, propagation and CITES Rescue Program.
- Maintain greenhouse environmental systems in the Dr. Joe and Alice Rinard Orchid Greenhouse; maintain cleanliness of the collection, the greenhouse, and display animals.
- Interview, hire, train, coordinate and supervise students and volunteers including a docent program. Coordinate and advise non-profit Friends groups.
- Maintain public visitation hours and record visitation. Provide information to the public; be available to public to answer questions.
- Create and maintain educational displays in the orchid display areas as related to support of orchid conservation, research and education.
- Provide educational support for university classes and individual student learning projects; support research efforts of faculty and students.
- Assist with and promote scheduled public educational experiences both on and off campus. Coordinate fund raising events.
- Assist Field Station and Environmental Education Center staff as needed to cover management of Christy Woods.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance as required by this position. Occasional weekends and Holiday work may be required.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.